Kootiyattam – Sanskrit theatre, Kerala
Ramman – Dance form in West Bengal
Ramlila – Traditional Performance of the Ramayana in Uttar Pradesh
Kalbelia – Folk songs and dances of Rajasthan.
The correct pair is Ramman – religious festival and ritual theatre of the Garhwal Himalayas.
Explanation – Ramman is a religious festival and ritual theatre of the Garhwal Himalayas.
It is intangible heritage in which the religious festival is demonstrated in the form of Ritual theatre.
It is performed in Saloor Dungra village, in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand and this festival is only performed here.
History is the narration of past events. It is always considered that history is for the students or the scholars who are pursuing it. But this is not true. One can also include it in meaningful ways in their everyday life. Thus, applied history is also known as ‘Public History’ which deals with the study of the application of history which is useful for our future generation and contemporary beings.
Archives is a place where historical documents are kept and preserved. All types of historical documents are preserved which gives us information about all the aspects of human life. Every state maintains their archives independently. Example – the Maharashtra state archives in Mumbai, Bihar state archives in Patna, etc. The National Archives of India is in New Delhi in 1972.
Applied history is also known as ‘Public History.’
One can include it in meaningful ways in their everyday life.
It deals with the study of the application of history which is useful for our future generation and contemporary beings.
It is the implication of the historical method in various fields such as in private corporations, in government institutions, etc.
Through the knowledge of history, one can find solutions to contemporary issues and social planning.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) is a global organisation which has specified some directives for the educational, cultural and scientific promotion of the heritage sites globally.
On the basis of these directives, many sites and traditions are chosen as world heritage sites and natural heritage.
They have listed some of the sites in India as world heritage sites which are- Elephanta caves in (Maharashtra), Hampi (Karnataka), Humayun’s Tomb, Delhi, Qutb Minar, and its Monuments, Delhi and many more.
The world cultural heritage sites located in Maharashtra are as follows–
(i) Ajanta Caves
(ii) Ellora Caves
(iii) Elephanta Caves
(iv) Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus formerly Victoria terminus
(v) Western Ghats (Kaas plateau in District Satara)
|Ancient building||Oral Traditions and their language|
|Artifacts||Social customs and rituals|
|Manuscripts||Styles of performing arts|
|Paintings||Customs , skills and traditions of certain groups and customs.|
It is essential to study the history of technology due to the following reasons –
• It helps in understanding the changes that happened in the field of agricultural production, commodity production, architecture, engineering, etc.
• The development in technology and science promoted the Mechanisation of production.
• To understand the development happened in the mechanisation.
• To understand the relation between science and technology.
• The knowledge of technology is important to come up with scientific discoveries.
• To understand the discoveries happened from Stone Age to the modern world, the knowledge of history is important.
(a) Science – The method of history useful in the research of science in the following ways –
• To understand the chronology of the scientific inventions and the related theories.
• To understand the causes that led to the invention of such theories.
• To understand the ways through which the particular invention happened, also to know about the chronology.
• Many discoveries happened because of the fact human beings were aware of the scientific phenomenon.
(b) Arts – The method of history is useful in the research of arts in the following ways –
• To have knowledge of the different forms of art through the study of the styles and the expressions and to understand it on the basis of intellectual, emotional and cultural traditions.
• The knowledge of cultural history will help us to understand the character of the artist, and the expressions of any art forms.
(c) Management Studies – The method of history useful in the research of Management Studies in the following ways –
• To understand the different aspects of the means of production, human resources, processes of production and market and sales management.
• To understand the temperament of the people working in the chain of production and in the market for a healthy lifestyle.
• To gain knowledge of the social, and the economic institution that supports the management of these chains of production.
• The process of Management becomes easy with the knowledge of Management studies.
Many inventions and discoveries have taken place in the present times.
We discovered the history of our ancestors which connects us to our heritage and the cultural glory of our land.
We develop the curiosity to search for their lifestyle and feel connected to them.
This is a heritage culture that we need to preserve for our future generations.
Applied history is one such subject which helps in the preservation and the conservation of our culture and history so that it will be available for the people and for our future generation.
This, in turn, leads to heritage management which creates employment opportunities.
Thus, through this subject, we can gain knowledge of our present culture through the history of the past.
The ten solutions for preservation of the sources of history are as follows –
• It is necessary to handle the sources of history very carefully.
• It should be archived properly.
• Controlling the environmental factors (dust, air, etc.) to preserve the sources of history properly.
• Precautions should be taken while handling dusty and fragile sources.
• Also, preservation can be made by digitalising all the sources. It means to computerize all the information so that it can be easily accessible to the people in future too.
• Frequent renovation should happen in the places (library, museums, and archives) where the source of history are preserved.
• Awareness campaigns should be conducted so that the people should have the knowledge about the preservation of the sources of history. www.asterclasses.com
• Knowledge of science will help to preserve the sources through chemical treatments.
• Meetings and surveys should be conducted to create awareness among the students.
• Volunteering to preserve the sources should be encouraged.
The objectives that can be fulfilled through the heritage projects are as follows –
• We can preserve our heritage culture and traditions to make it accessible for our future generation.
• To promote the heritage of our land systematically
• Heritage management will create a number of employment opportunities.
• Will create awareness regarding the history of past.
• Will stimulate curiosity to discover more about the past culture.
• Will promote the scientific, educational and cultural aspect of the heritage projects.
• Will lead to the development in the cultural tourism.
• It will help in developing the critical view of our history.
• Will generate interest to develop the cultural thought and the traditions which our ancestors dealt with.